Saturday, June 23, 2012

My first GEGR haul!

Hi!  Phil's Mom's here and I'm taking over to tell you about my first greyhound haul.

What is a haul?  It's where several folks from GEGR (Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue) meet some people who have some Greyhounds (from other places) that GEGR will adopt out to approved applicants.

So, lets start off with the waking up at 0300!  Which wasn't so bad because I was pretty excited.  My back was hurting, but I was a super trooper and just dealt with the pain.  Since it's just Phil and I, I took Phil out for a quick business trip, then we came back in and I gave him part of his breakfast, since I wasn't going to be here to feed him at normal breakfast time.  I left Phil, who I assume went back to his beauty rest as soon as I shut the door, and headed to the place where I was meeting George.

For this trip, I was George's copilot.  I wasn't sure what those duties entailed, but it wasn't very difficult.  Keep the driver awake!  That's pretty important.  Once I was in his car, we headed towards the meet-up location where we'd be meeting the "pup truck" (that's the name I just gave it).

A quick (and painful) 2 hour drive later, we arrived and we were the first ones there!  Adrienne was the next to arrive.  Then we noticed the truck had arrived.  We got out and chatted with 2 nice North Carolinians (yes, that is the proper form of "a person from North Carolina", I'm an expert on that place) who had driven 4 hours from Greensboro to meet us.  I could hear the hounds in the back of the truck rooing and whining and despite the waddling and the backache I had going on, I was sooooooo excited to see new puppies!

Finally, everyone arrived and pups were leashed and walked around so they could go business.  They were all so curious and... new!  There were several fawns, 2 black (and one had a white chest and white toes with black dots! /swoon), and a few brindles.  Hopefully, they all get to find their forever homes so they can be completely retired today!

George put 3 pups in the back of his car and they were so much fun (or maybe I was just really excited?).  We had Marbles, Rictor, and Siryn.  They were very curious and Siryn stood up almost the entire way to GEGR.

We stopped at McDonald's to pick up breakfast for me and all the dogs were very interested in the delicious smell of a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit.  I tried feeding them some bacon, but none of them were interested in it!  What?!  They obviously haven't gotten the hang of retired life yet, but I'm sure they will pick it up quickly!


Marbles and Rictor waiting on Siryn to get in the car.

Miss Marbles really liked the pettins.. even though I know she was just trying to coax me into taking her muzzle off.
Sorry, baby girl, no can do!

Radar ears!!!  <3

Batman was trying to help Adrienne drive!

Siryn wanted her muzzle off too.

The most awake I looked for the entire trip.  :)

Look at those brown eyes.  <3

Where are we going?
Where is everyone else??
Shhh, I heard something!

All the pups relaxing.

Even though the wake up is early, early for me, knowing that I'm getting Greyhounds a step closer to their forever home makes my heart smile.  I'm totally willing to do this again, although hopefully without the mysterious back pain to be my company.

And Drew will be pleased to know that despite all the cuteness that was new puppies, Phil still remains my favorite, with his bad breath and his leaning and his nails digging into my feet when he stretches and his patience of me when I'm hurting.  He's definitely my favorite puppy-luppy and it would be pretty hard for someone to usurp him out of my #1 seat.



We can't a blog without a Phil photo!!!
This was the night I picked Phil up after returning from Australia.
The blanket didn't last very long..  Touche' buddy, touche'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show Phil some love!